When I first started experimenting with vegan cooking I was pleasantly surprised to find there are vegan alternatives to many, many foods. Mayo, milk, ice cream and cheese, all have vegan versions. A lot of vegan “meats” are made with tofu. There are even egg substitutes for cooking such as Ener- G Egg Replacer. If you are ever cooking or baking a vegan meal and realize you don’t have any powdered egg substitutes when you are midway through a recipe, don’t worry ! There are actually some homemade egg replacements you can make yourself. This list comes from the cookbook Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson. As a substitute for one egg you can use one of the following:
- 2 tablespoons potato or corn starch
- 3 tablespoons or ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed simmered in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup soft silken tofu, pureed in a food processor or blender
- ¼ cup plain soy yogurt
So far I have tried applesauce, cornstarch and the baking powder/vinegar mixture. They all seemed to work pretty well. You couldn’t tell there was an egg missing. Have you ever tried one of these substitutes? How did it turn out?